I recently presented a webinar about how to attract new business with Facebook. One of the attendees wondered whether it was better to have a business account on Facebook or to have a business page tied to their personal account. My preference is a business page, especially for the small business owner.
Facebook Business Account Limitations
1. Business accounts are designed for individuals who only want to use the site to administer Pages and their ad campaigns. If your company’s brand is well-known already, then a business account will work fine for you, because you’ve got a built-in fan base of customers already. But if your business isn’t as well known, then Facebook gives you a great opportunity to connect with your audience on a personal level.
2. An individual with a business account cannot view the profiles of users on the site. What’s the point of using Facebook if you can’t view profiles of people who visit your site? Remember – this is a social networking tool. When you have a page, you can visit the profile of someone who posted on your site and learn more about them – reach out to them and develop a relationship that could prove mutually beneficial.
3. A business account owner cannot view other content on the site that does not live on the pages they administer. One of the benefits of Facebook is being able to check out other pages – see what works and what doesn’t. Having a business page will enable you to do that.
4. Business accounts cannot be found in search. This one is a no-brainer! If you have a website, why not use the power of Facebook to your advantage? Providing a link on your business page back to your website will help your site in the search rankings. Period. End of Story.
5. Business accounts cannot send or receive friend requests. See point #2. The advantage of having a page is that you can connect with the people on it. Reach out to them. Make friends with them. Find out how you can help them. People do business with those they like and trust. Facebook gives you a great opportunity to do that!
Want more social media marketing tips like this? Like my Facebook Page: @GloriaRand